Monday, May 25, 2009

Do you love your friends? Well, do ya?

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently is do we, as Christians, really love our friends, and if we do, how do we show it? For example, the world shows friendship by loving each other, sharing, caring for one another, etc. But shouldn't we as Christians be doing more than that? Let me ask you a question: if you are a Christian, and your friend is not, what is the single most important thing you can possibly share with them? The saving knowledge of Christ, of course! And, if you don't, what does that say about you? It says that you are more concerned with yourself and what the world thinks of you than you are the fact that your friend might spend an eternity in hell, which basically means you don't care at all about them. Now, I'm not saying you should constantly keep bringing it up, or if they tell you they're not interested that you should try to force them to believe, because you shouldn't. However, not mentioning it at all is definitely not what you should be doing. Let me put it another way: If someone is your friend, and they share something with you (an opinion, belief, life style, etc), and you disagree with it, would you stop being their friend? Do friends stop being friends simply because they disagree about something? Of course not! So, if you share Christ with them, and they choose to stop being your friend because they believe differently, guess what? Chances are, they weren't your friend in the first place. So, if that is what you are worried about, you shouldn't be, because friends can still be friends regardless of different opinions, beliefs, cultures, lifestyles, and yes, even religions. Case in point: I have a few friends who fall into many categories I disagree with, such as one who is a Wiccan, another who is bisexual, another who believes in Darwinism, another who believes that global warming is caused by people, etc. I disagree with all of those, but yet I am still their friends. You know why? 2 reasons: 1. That's what friends do 2. That's the example that Christ set. How can I expect to influence others for Christ if I don't associate with them? I can't! So, the overall point is what I'm trying to say is, if you as a Christian truly love your friends, you WILL tell them about Christ, because you're not guaranteed tomorrow, they might die in the next 10 seconds, and it will be to late. So, let me raise this question: Do you love your friends? Well, do ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment