Wednesday, May 6, 2009

So, Christians go to church...okay, where's the fruit?

Okay, I'm going to address a tricky topic. It is a topic that even some churches don't address. It is the difference between those who claim to be and look like Christians, and those who actually are. It is the topic of sanctification and justification.Basically, it is the topic of faith vs. works.

Now, I want to make it clear at the outset, I am not saying that doing works will EVER be enough to get one into heaven. We can never, as sinful human beings, be "good enough" or "perfect enough" for heaven. However, that does not mean we shouldn't try.

James 2:14-26 says: 14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselessa]">[a]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"b]">[b] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Not only that, but Jesus said something similar, and he said it many times:

Matthew 25:31-46:

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.


Matthew 7:15-23:

15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'


So, you may be thinking, "What does all of this mean? Does it mean we are saved by works?" By all means, no. We are not saved through works, but a truly saving faith will produce works. We are saved because of Christ's love for us, and if we truly are saved, we will show it, because God will be transforming, slowly but surely, into his likenss. Works do not save one, but faith doesn't, etiher. Recieving salvation means confessing faithe in God, and repenting. And Repenting means that you will show works, because repentance does not mean simply to "stop doing what you shouldn't," but also to "start doing the things we should," because not doing what we should is just as much a sin as doing what we shouldn't.


Now, finally, I want to say that if someone is offended by any of this, because they think they can be a "fire insurance Christian," or basically just be a Christian so they don't go to hell, and keep on living the way they did before they accepted Christ, I want to say, don't be mad at me, because I am simply stating what the Bible already says. If you've though that you're a Christian, only to find out you aren't, I'm sorry, the only thing I can say, is reconsider whether you are a Christian or not. If your life has changed for the better, and you've become more Christlike since you became a Christian, then, no worries. However, if there is no fruit in your life, you should seriously evaluate whether or not you are a Christian, because, simply put:


"FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD."

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Good post. Faith without works is dead. It comes down to the question "Do you believe that what you believe is really real?" If you don't act on what you believe...YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT! Just like you said Josh. Keep seeking the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes
    how can people see Lord in us if we are the same as they are??!
    !!faith without works is dead!!

    ReplyDelete